Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pink Cookies

IMG_0771

I spent a lot of time with Gram and Mom as a little girl. We’d watch soap operas like As The World Turns together, and I’d tag along on shopping excursions in my pink leggings, turtlenecks, and big head bows.

Often times, we'd visit Nordstrom - the land of twirl-worthy piano music and a sea of clothing. I used to love hopping from clothes rack to clothes rack hiding in the center of the display as ladies perused the season’s latest fashions. I swear no one could see or hear me despite my audible giggles and little, mary jane shoes poking out from under the hanging sleeves and pant legs.

I could stay entertained clothes rack hopping for hours. But the best part of our trips to Nordstrom was the pink cookies. Hands down.

IMG_0661


When I treat myself to coffee at the Nordstrom Espresso Bar now and again, I always eye the pink cookies and feel a sense of nostalgia overcome me. They remind me of being a kid. When coffee and clothes from Nordstrom were of no interest to me at all. When I did not know how to tell time, drive a car, or pay a bill. When nap time and coloring books were the center of my world. My, how times have changed.

You Seattlites out there know there is something special about these cookies. There is nothing like them. You can sink your teeth in to the pink circle with ease. They're creamy, buttery, soft, and, hello, pink. I like that. What could be better?

IMG_0583


Pink Cookies
Adapted from All Recipes

Ingredients

1 cup organic butter
2 cups white sugar
4 organic, cage-free eggs
3/4 cup organic whole milk
6 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

In a large bowl or mixing stand, cream the organic butter and sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time, mix well. Stir in the milk and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking powder.Gradually stir the flour mixture into the creamed mixture until everything is well blended.

Form dough into a ball and cut into two pieces. Wrap each half with saran wrap. Place both pieces of dough in the freezer for approximately one hour.

Pull the chilled dough out of the freezer and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut parchment paper and layout over a cookie sheet.

Take each half of chilled dough and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to approximatley 1/2 inch thick. Take the largest round cookie cutter you have (these cookies are meant to be fairly large) and cut out circles from the dough. A clean tuna can works well too, if you do not have a circular cookie cutter.

Place circled cut-outs 1-2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheet.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. The tops of the cookies should spring back to the touch like a cake. Cool completely on wire racks before frosting.

IMG_0630

Pink Frosting

Ingredients
2/3 cup butter, softened
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
6 drops red food coloring

Directions
In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, confectioners' sugar, and milk until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Beat in the vanilla and food coloring. Spread over cookies.

IMG_0725

IMG_0782




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...