Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Meat Loaf With A Twist

IMG_0733



A few years back, when I'd come home from college to be with my family, Mom would always ask for dinner requests. Which meals did I miss the most? Top of mind would usually be Mom's meatloaf.
She'd say, "really?" in disbelief. Of all the foods I could ask for, I wanted meatloaf? 

Yes, I wanted Mom's meatloaf. She doesn't add all the carrots and fixings like many recipes call for. Our family meatloaf is plain and simple....but with one slight variation. We stick hard boiled eggs in the middle of the loaf.  Crazy delicious, and I can't find the dish anywhere but home sweet home.

I believe this is a rather unique food tradition of my immediate family. It may seem a bit odd, but I swear it's worth a try. Pack in a little extra protein, right?

This is my comfort food. Love it or leave it!

Meatloaf With A Twist

Ingredients
2 lbs. organic lean ground beef
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoons black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
3 teaspoons Worcerstershire
1 cup rolled oats
2 squeezes of ketchup
2 organic eggs, lightly beaten
2 organic eggs, hard boiled and peeled

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Cover a 9x13 inch baking pan with foil.

Mix all meatloaf ingredients, except the 2 hard boiled eggs,  in a large bowl.  Use your hands to combine and evenly distribute the ingredients. Shape in mixture into a loaf. One at a time, insert the hard boiled eggs into the middle of the loaf, molding the meat around the egg, so the eggs are concealed. Place the loaf into the foiled baking pan.  Drizzle top of meatloaf with ketchup. Bake for 1 hour.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...