Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Passover Brownies

IMG_0103
Photo by Rachel Dedrickson

Today is the last day of Passover, and I am here to report that I failed the no leavened bread rule that goes with the holiday. Big, f-a-t, epic fail. But let’s be honest, I wasn’t really trying – hehe. :) Pizza, anyone?

Nonetheless, we celebrated Passover with family dinner at sundown on the first night of the holiday (April 18). Aunt Julie hosted. The feast entailed gefilte fish, matzo ball soup, matzo, charoset, matzo rolls, salmon, compote, asparagus, and Manischevitz wine (mmm...all the good Jewish food I keep posting about).

I contributed to the evening’s dessert menu (what did you expect?) with Passover brownies and Gram's Sponge Cake. Funny how I am the go-to brownie girl considering my history with these baked little squares. How did that happen? I guess this is the dish I've been practicing the longest.

Well, I messed up the sponge cake (more on this later), but I think I have these brownies nailed down. I'd like to think that the secret to a delicious brownie is Drostie's cocoa. Have you ever tried it? I prefer it over Hershey's.

Anyway, while I get an "F" for giving into leavened bread this year, these brownies get an A++. Next year, give them a go. Or, if you are just in the mood to mix up your usual brownie recipe, this is a sure bet. They taste great!

IMG_0085
Photo by Rachel Dedrickson

Passover Brownies

Ingredients:
4 eggs
2 c sugar
1 c melted butter
½ t salt
7 T cake meal (Passover flour substitute)
1 c Drostie’s cocoa
1 t vanilla
1 c walnuts (optional)

Directions:
Beat eggs and add sugar gradually. Add butter and beat well. Mix in dry ingredients and add to mixture. Stir in nuts. Pour into 9 X 13 inch greased pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes (depending on your oven). Cool completely before removing from pan.

IMG_0115
Photo by Rachel Dedrickson

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...