Thursday, April 21, 2011

Easy Frittata


IMG_0050
Photo by Rachel Dedrickson

What is your dinner ritual?

Growing up, Mom and Dad made a point to sit down with my brother and I at 6 pm every evening to discuss the day's events and enjoy a meal together.

What happened to that ritual? Well, I live on my own now and having a dinner plan every night is not so simple. It requires planning and energy, which I don't always have time for. In fact, it is not unusual for me to be pondering what I should make for dinner during my evening commute Monday through Friday.

On my way home from work last week, I settled on making a frittata for dinner. It fit the criteria. A frittata is fast, easy to assemble, and requires the eggs, goat cheese, spinach, mushrooms, and onions I already had readily available in the fridge (most of the time).

A frittata can be anything you want it to be. It doesn’t require a certain amount of flour or sugar or salt. A frittata can mean chicken sausage, red pepper, and feta cheese or it can mean potatoes, onions, and garlic.
What do you have in your fridge?

The frittata turned out fabulously. Since I'm not always inspired by the dinner hour, breakfast for dinner always seems to do the trick!


IMG_0064
Photo by Rachel Dedrickson
Easy Frittata

Ingredients:
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
1/2 an onion
1 cup of spinach
3 mushrooms, sliced
Goat cheese
Salt and pepper


Directions:
Preheat oven to 400º F. Heat butter in an ovenproof pan*. Sauté onions, spinach, and mushrooms until lightly brown, about 6-8 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Pour the eggs over the vegetables. Sprinkle cheese and a bit more salt and pepper on top. Bake until the egg puffs up and browns to your liking, about 10 minutes.

*If you don’t have an ovenproof pan, transfer vegetables to an 8” or 9” cake pan after you are done sautéing them.

1 comment:

Violet P said...

Veryy thoughtful blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...