Monday, January 16, 2012

Sweet Onion, Gruyere and Bacon Quiche

IMG_0997

I think many of my Jewish friends out there can agree that quiche has played a silent part in our childhoods. Every bar or bat mitzvah has, and will always have, some kind of mini quiche in its midst. But, tell me, how many of those quiches had bacon and gruyere? Well, probably none! Not a kosher combo. Oops.

I love quiche. I love that it can be made ahead of time. I love that it can incorporate any array of ingredients. I love that it reminds me of of that awkward, adolescent time...full of Saturday Shabbat brunches, braces, and schmoozing. Lets' never go back!

This recipe was passed along from Aunt Julie to Mom...and then to me. Typical. My mom and I talk just about every day, and the usual question in our conversation is, "what are you having for dinner?" 

I usually steal her dinner ideas. And this is how sweet onion, gruyere and bacon quiche came to be.

I made this quiche the evening before, so I was able to come home, throw a salad together, and reheat the main dish in a matter of 5 minutes. It smells phenomenal, and it is so cozy. I stuck to whole food ingredients as much as possible, and the results were fabulous. 

Serve this quiche with a fresh herb salad, or some asparagus. Delish!

IMG_0888


Sweet Onion, Gruyere and Bacon Quiche

Ingredients
1 package of bacon bits (if you can find them refrigerated by the meat section, they are probably freshest!)
1 cup chopped sweet onion (about 1 medium)
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1 1/2 cups organic whole milk
2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese
1 frozen, deep-dish 9", whole wheat pie shell (you can find these in the frozen section at Whole Foods and PCC)


Directions
Place oven rack in lower third of oven.  Preheat to 425.

In large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium.  Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden.  Stir in the bacon bits and set aside to cool.

In mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg whites.  Add milk, cornstarch, pepper, and salt, then whisk to combine.

Mix cheese into cooled onion-bacon mixture, then spoon the mixture into the pie shell in an even layer.  Pour the egg mixture evenly on top.

Bake the quiche for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown on top and set in the center.  Transfer to a rack to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...